Number Prefixes Worksheet
Version Date: February 5, 2010
Name ____________________________________________ Date _______________________
Course ___________________________________________ Instructor ____________________
Directions: In each case, Use your knowledge of number prefixes to answer each of the following questions.
1. How many metrical feet in one line of a poem in iambic pentameter? ____________
2. How many children in quintuplets?
3. If some molecule names include the number of carbon atoms in
them, how many carbon atoms are in cyclohexane?
4. In the old Roman calendar, the last months of the year were named
after the month number, with December
being the last month. How many months were there in the old Roman
Bonus: What month number was October?
5. A septuagenarian would
be a senior citizen in which decade of life? _______________
6. How many sides does a hexadecahedron
have? ________________ (Hint: Yes, you can add prefixes together.)
7. If a kilogram weighs
about 2.2 pounds, how much does 10,000 grams weigh in pounds?
8. Which has more storage space: a 250 gigabyte hard disk drive or a 2 terabyte hard disk drive?
Bonus: If all the books in the Library of Congress could fit on a 20
terabyte disk drive, how many
such libraries would fit on a one petabyte
9. If you tell your friend, "I'll be back in a nanosecond," and he says, "Make it
a yocto," is he telling you
to hurry up or to take your time? ______________
10. If an electrical power supply adapter has an output load
capacity of 6 watts, how many routers that draw 1400 milliwatts each can it
Bonus Suffix Caboose
Alpha. The process of making something small would be
(For the sagely curious: look up the difference between minify and
Beta. If Fred gives a test to Tom, Fred is the _______________ and
Tom is the ________________
Choose the appropriate word for each blank:
Gamma. When a writer gives human qualities to an object, such as
making a chair talk, the process is known as __________________.
Need a book of word roots and prefixes? Check out these books at Amazon.com.